ABOUT TB TESTING
Tuberculosis (TB) is a disease that is spread through the air from one person to another. When someone who is sick with TB coughs, speaks, laughs, sings, or sneezes, people nearby may breathe TB bacteria into their lungs. TB usually attacks the lungs, but can also attack other parts of the body, such as the brain, spine, or kidneys.
TB bacteria can live in the body without making a person sick. This is called latent TB infection. People with latent TB infection do not feel sick, do not have TB symptoms, and cannot spread TB bacteria to others. Some people with latent TB infection go on to develop TB disease. People with TB disease can spread the bacteria to others, feel sick, and can have symptoms including fever, night sweats, cough, and weight loss.
I.D.A. Drug Marts offers TB testing through Queenstown I.D.A. Drug Mart located on 302 Queen St. East.
Prior to Test:
- TB Skin Testing is only provided at our Queenstown I.D.A. location at 302 Queen St., Sault Ste. Marie, ON.
- Clients are to call the dispensary at (705) 949-7331 or email email@example.com to make an appointment.
- Each patient is to fill out the Immunization Assessment and Consent Form prior to the administration of the test
- There is a $40.00 charge for the first step TB Test (first injection + reading) and an additional $10.00 charge for the second step TB Test (second injection + reading) which is to be paid prior to the administration of the test.
- A full week must pass before the second TB skin test can be administered.
- Clients must return 48 hours after the administration of the test to have it read. If the test is not read in the proper window, the test will be invalid and will have to be redone at the patient’s expense.
Day of Test
- Clients are to show up for their allotted appointment time. If more than 15 minutes late, the appointment time may be lost. We ask that if patients are going to be late, that they call (705-949-7331) ahead to let the clinic know.
- Patients are to sign-in at the pharmacy counter and the nurse will be out shortly for your appointment.
- Clients will be educated on the significance of the test and what each result means.
- After all questions are answered, the nurse will inject 0.1mL of Tubersol solution just under the skin of the forearm.
- The client will be given a list of directions to follow about after the appointment and when to come back in.
After the Test
- The site will be raised and will look like a “mosquito bite” for 1-3 hours afterwards.
- No scratching or rubbing the site after the test.
- The patient will return to the clinic 48 hours after the exam to be read
- A positive test is indicated by an induration (hard, raised area) >10mm.
- A positive TB test DOES NOT indicate that you have Tuberculosis, it indicates that your body has the ANTIBODIES against Tuberculosis.
- In case of a positive test, the patient will be given a referral for a chest X-ray so a physician can look for signs of active or latent TB (dormant or asymptomatic TB).
- A report will be sent to the client indicating the findings.
- At the patient’s last visit, they will be given a Record of TB Test sheet and a pocket card indicating the finding of the test(s).